Almost everyone wants to lose weight, whether it’s 2 pounds or 200 pounds. Sometimes we don’t realize how easy it can be and sometimes we just need a little help. Here are 5 tips to help you get started losing that weight.
- Never eat in front of the television. When you watch TV, you aren’t paying attention to what you’re eating. It’s easy to forget to pay attention to your body’s natural signals of satiety when you’re distracted by television. That means you are likely to eat more than you would if you were sitting at your kitchen table (or other designated eating area) paying attention to every bite that goes into your mouth. And don’t forget that TV is filled with ads for food, just watching TV makes you more likely to eat (the power of suggestion).
- Drink a lot of water. Drink as much water as you can. Don’t drink sodas or soft drinks. Diet sodas, while better because they have no calories, have been said to CAUSE feelings of hunger! And regular sodas have hundreds of calories. You can not only save tons of calories by cutting out sodas and soft drinks but you can save tons of cash too! Tap water (or filtered water) is free, while sodas, like everything else are getting more and more expensive.
- Eat high fiber foods. The more fiber you eat, the fuller you feel. Also, the more fiber you eat, the less likely your body is to absorb fat! Your colon will function better and you’ll just feel better in general. You can get fiber by choosing foods that are made with whole grain. Apples (with the peel), broccoli, legumes, and beans all are high in fiber.
- Walk whenever you can. Aim to walk at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. You don’t have to do this all at one time. We’re all really busy, but everyone can find 10 minutes here and there to take a quick walk. Quit smoking and go for a “walk break” instead of a smoke break! Take the stairs instead of the elevator (you’ll get used to it, I promise!). Park a little farther away from your destination instead of fighting with everyone else over the closest spaces – another plus is that you’ll reduce stress since parking spaces will be easier to come by and it will take much less time to park if you just park in the first space you find. Take your dog for a walk! Your dog will thank you, too.
5. Eat smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. Don’t eat 3 large meals, you’ll be hungry and eat more if you don’t eat for at least 5 hours. Have 3 smaller meals a day and at least 2 healthy snacks (be sure to have some protein, i.e. cheese, nuts, peanut butter, milk, chicken). Make sure your meals count. Don’t eat chips or cookies for your snacks. Have fruit or veggies with some protein in between meals and you’ll feel fuller and eat fewer calories.
And of course, we can all use some help, especially as we get older and our metabolism slows down. I personally have used The Apple Patch Diet to lose 29 pounds! It’s all natural and so easy to use (you only have to change it 1 time every 3 days). If you’re looking for something that will help push the scale in the right direction, then you should check it out. Good luck losing weight!!!